Being the oldest university in the Philippines, the University of Sto. Tomas (UST) was the first in the country to recognize the importance of Dermatology as a specific field in medicine. As early as 1883, “Dermatosis y su Clinica” was taught as a subject to the sixth year medical students under Sr. D. Felipe Bueno y Chicoy.
The UST Hospital Department of Dermatology was originally established as a Section of Dermatology and Syphilology under the Department of Medicine, organized and headed by Dr William Burke in 1927. In 1979, they started a specialty training in dermatology, being initially recognized by the institution as a “fellowship” program.
With Dr. Marita Lim Ke as the training officer in 1981, the three-year residency training program in Dermatology was given full accreditation by the Philippine Dermatological Society (PDS).
Eventually, the Section has shown autonomy having its own financial set-up, organization and activities. This granted the recognition of the Section as a Department of Dermatology in 1988 with Dr. Lina de Dios-Torralba as the first Chair.
From Left to Right: Bernardita O. Policarpio, MD, FPDS; Dell Kristie Ortega Castillejos, MD, FPDS; Maria Lourdes H. Palmero, MD, FPDS; Ma. Victoria C. Dizon, MD, FPDS; Eleanor L. Letran, MD, FPDS; Ma. Angela T. Cumagun, MD, FPDS; Ria Carla Siccion, MD, FPDS; Arnelfa C. Paliza, MD, FPDS; Susannah O. Salvador, MD, FPDS; Lina D. Torralba, MD, FPDS; Daisy K. Ismael, MD, FPDS; Angelica Guzman-Hernandez, MD, FPDS; Maria Rosario G. Aguila, MD, FPDS
Eleanor L. Letran, MD, FPDS
Department Training Officer
Bernardita O. Policarpio, MD, FPDS
From Left to Right: Fiona Bianca Enriquez, MD; Dreena Cloi Sy, MD; Gail Josephine Boco, MD
Basic Dermatologic Procedures Offered:
University of Santo Tomas Hospital
Department of Dermatology
Sampaloc Manila, 1015
Tel. No. 731-3001 loc 2638